Subject: SunOS.mk default shell for SH
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Eric Boutilier <Eric.Boutilier@Sun.COM>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/03/2005 13:06:27
First, I'm happy to report that in the window manager category
pkgsrc can cleanly build fvwm2, windowmaker, and fluxbox on my
Solaris 10 PC -- completely hands-free. (Such "news" is probably
a yawner to most people here, but I for one still find all this
quite remarkable!)

I did have to make one tiny "update" to SunOS.mk to get fluxbox
to build. Otherwise, it dumps a /bin/ksh core part way through
the build (right after compiling ToolFactory.o).

I figured out the work-around is to change SH?= /bin/ksh to
SH?= /bin/bash in SunOS.mk. Then, instead of changing it back,
I left it that way with no problems so far.

I looked at the other platform mk files and using /bin/ksh is the
exception -- most seem to be using /bin/sh -- which is probably
bash on BSD and Linux systems, and maybe some UNIX systems too.

We added /bin/bash in Solaris 8 I think -- maybe at the same time
we added /bin/gpatch. Here's how SunOS.mk currently handles gpatch:

--------
.if exists(/usr/bin/gpatch)
PATCH?=         /usr/bin/gpatch
.else
PATCH?=         ${LOCALBASE}/bin/${GNU_PROGRAM_PREFIX}patch
.endif
--------

Can we do the same for bash? I guess it would look like this:

--------
.if exists(/bin/bash)
SH?=         /bin/bash
.else
SH?=         /bin/ksh
.endif
--------

Finally, I have a protocol question. In the future, for this
kind of thing, should I do this first (open a discussion here)
and maybe open a PR later? Or should I just open a PR? Or do both
in parallel?

Eric