Subject: Re: Solaris and rc.d scripts
To: Jonathan Perkin <jonathan@perkin.org.uk>
From: Carl Brewer <carl@bl.echidna.id.au>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/03/2005 10:25:46
Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> * On 2005-03-02 at 18:53 GMT, Hauke Fath wrote:
>

>>Now, during a boot, _something_ looks into /etc/rc.d and sources the
>>scripts into either /sbin/sh or /usr/bin/sh:
>>
>>[...]
>>
>>Recursively grep(1)ing /etc for any combination of rc.d returns
>>nothing substantial. There is definitely nothing in '/etc/rc?.d'.
>

> It's /sbin/rc2.  Code snippet not pasted due to copyright, but search
> for 'rc.d'.

This will all want overhauling with the new SMF in Solaris 10.  I
haven't done any pkgsrc stuff on Sol10 yet, but have knocked up
a few start methods for some apps, it's not too difficult.

Take a look at

http://www.rfcgr.mrc.ac.uk/~ptribble/Solaris/smf.html
as one example (not mine, just one I used as a template)

Carl