Subject: Re: Malloc error output involving pthreads, what does it mean exactly? (on NetBSD 2.0)
To: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
From: None <10.50@free.fr>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/02/2005 10:38:31
Hi Chuck,

Selon Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>:

> > gimp in malloc(): error: allocation failed.
> > assertion "next != 0" failed: file
> > "/usr/src/lib/libpthread/pthread_run.c", line 130, function "pthread__next"
> > Is this a normal behavior when malloc fails to allocate memory, or is it
> > a bug somehow connected with the system pthreads?
>
> it's a bug with pthreads.  more of a design flaw, really.
> the libpthread library in -current has a workaround for this
> (and other bugfixes too).

Nope. It fails exactly the same on my laptop which runs 2.99.16. Same message,
same error. And what's more puzzling, this error happens at the same point of
memory allocation (more or less), though the machines have a different amount
of RAM (512 MB for the one I'm using currently, 256 MB on my laptop). Go figure
;)

PS : I have recompiled both glib2 and gimp yesterday, just in case…

Cheers,
Vincent