Subject: HEADS UP (DragonFly): libtool change after 2005Q1 branch
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/28/2005 13:01:31
I'm holding off updating libtool to 1.5.14 until after the 2005Q1 branch in
order to shake out a major -- flag day -- change for DragonFly.

Since (as of libtool 1.5.12) DragonFly now shares the FreeBSD config
entirely in the GNU-supplied libtool, this means that DragonFly will start
using pkgsrc's FreeBSD changes for libtool, including the soname changes and
"version_type=linux" change.

This will not prevent compilation of packages against dependencies from
before the change.  However, this will change the underlying version numbers
of newly built libraries, which may cause problems if non-pkgsrc programs
are compiled against pkgsrc libs and a pkgsrc-supplied library is updated.

I will post again when this change is committed.  After that time, I
recommend that DragonFly users rebuild installed packages using .so
libraries, and their dependencies, whenever time permits.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>