Subject: Re: pkg/29227
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/27/2005 12:27:40
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Curt Sampson wrote:

> I just think it's a very bad situation when the OS has iconv, ruby has
> iconv, a "./configure && make" with an unmodified untar of the source
> installs iconv, and yet our package system doesn't.

pkgsrc tries Hard to have similar results cross-platform.  If some platforms
need the extra dependency, and pkgsrc provides it in a granular form, then
it's granular for all systems (even if iconv is in "the base system").  That
keeps the packages quite consistent.

www/php4 and the php4-* modules (which are actually part of the php4
package's source) show another example of how this works.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>