Subject: Re: How to force GNU tar for extraction of a pkg?
To: Jeff Rizzo <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/25/2005 17:17:38
I wrote my reply below last week and forgot to send it....

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005, Jeff Rizzo wrote:

> I'm working on updating the net/quagga package, but when I try
> extracting the new version using pax-as-tar, there's an error:
> tar: Invalid header, starting valid header search.
> tar: End of archive volume 1 reached
> tar: Unexpected EOF on archive file
> tar: Unexpected EOF on archive file
> tar: Premature end of file on archive read
> ... the file extracts OK with GNU tar, however.  What's the proper way
> of handling this?

As for pax, there is now a PR:  bin/29459: pax fails on

For your workaround (to use gtar instead), you could set the

(See examples in mk/

This is strange because the way pkgsrc mk/ is worded it appears
it already uses gtar. See EXTRACT_USING_PAX (but really on NetBSD it does
not). This EXTRACT_USING_PAX and usage should be made more clear.

 Jeremy C. Reed