Subject: Re: pkg/29227
To: Takahiro Kambe <taca@back-street.net>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/25/2005 23:13:58
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Takahiro Kambe wrote:

> It isn't the problem of ruby-iconv package itself.  On some platforms
> (including NetBSD 1.6.x), it needs additional iconv package.  The same
> way, ruby-curses package needs additional ncurses package.  (And some
> of NetBSD's ports have limited size of disk space.)

Yes, I understand that. And while I would find ruby without iconv on
NetBSD 1.6 annoying, I can understand an argument for not having it.

I just think it's a very bad situation when the OS has iconv, ruby has
iconv, a "./configure && make" with an unmodified untar of the source
installs iconv, and yet our package system doesn't.

BTW, why are we bothering to keep ruby16? Not that it's any skin off my
nose, but it seems like a lot of extra work for no real gain. Ruby 1.8
has been through three releases now, and I doubt it has any bugs that
1.6 doesn't.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org
      Make up enjoying your city life...produced by BIC CAMERA