Subject: Re: scons and pkgsrc
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Ove Soerensen <ove@elektro-eel.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/25/2005 10:47:28
Hi,

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 02:45:58AM +0100, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
[...]
> I am new to `scons' but it looks like one needs to add an entry to the file
> for each operatingsystem environment. Since pkgsrc is running on multiple
> machines and architectures i guess its nessisary to replace the
> `SConstruct' file by a pkgsrc-buildlink aware one?
[...]

Well, that basically depends on the SConstruct. scons is really just a
collection of routines and templates that might be useful for building
software. You get a lot more freedom that way compared to the "normal"
autoconf/make-approach, but unfortunately this also means more work for
build-frameworks such as pkgsrc.
audio/madman is the only package i'm aware of that uses scons. Though it's
SConstructs are basically platform-agnostic you might be able to get some
useful information there. One particulary annoying thing you have to watch
out for is that scons likes to spill .sconsign files all over your
file-system (outside your building-directory, that is) by default. You have
to make sure that the SConstruct-file you are using includes a call to
SConsignFile() to prevent this. Unfortunately there's no command-line switch
for this and neither is there some kind of system-wide default include you
could tweak.

Greetings,
Ove