Subject: Re: pkg_delete ALL how to do this pls?
To: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
From: Ian Zagorskih <ianzag@megasignal.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/25/2005 15:10:46
grant beattie wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 09:59:07AM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
>>
>>>pkg_delete -f '*'
>>>
>>>or brute force:
>>>
>>>rm -rf /usr/pkg /var/db/pkg*
>>
>>These are sledgehammer methods that ask for more trouble than they are
>>worth.
>

> huh?
>
> on the contrary, it's the _only_ way that guarantees a clean slate.

This is a complete destruction including all user config files in
/usr/pkg/etc. Sometimes there are many files. Yes, i know i must back up
'em prior rm -rf.. etc. But at some bad day i'll forget it [of course]..
On the other hand, pkg_delete guarantees that relevant config files will
be preserved [samba, apache, squid, etc]. I don't want to play Russian
roulette with rm -rf when it's much safer to use pkg_delete :)

// wbr