Subject: Updating pkgsrc makes older packages disappear
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Loren M. Lang <lorenl@alzatex.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/24/2005 23:29:22
When I originally had pkgsrc-2004Q3, I used it to install most of my
basic desktop software including vim-gtk2, fvwm2, kde3, and xmms.  Later
I updated pkgsrc to 2004Q4 and started installing some more packages
like xchat and now I'm finding that major parts of my system are missing
installing nearly all if not all of kde, vim-gtk2, xmms, and more.  All
of which I installed from pkgsrc-2004Q3.  When I installed xchat, I had
to use make update because it complained that it couldn't install newer
versions of some packages like qt which were already install.  Can
make update also cause other packages that depend on qt to be
uninstalled.  I am totally baffled over this.  I've reinstalled several
packages from 2004Q4, but kde is failing to compile so I had to use
pkg_add with the URL I got from www.pkgsrc.org for the latest binary
available.  Has anyone else seen this when updating to newer branches of
pkgsrc?
--
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.

Fingerprint: B3B9 D669 69C9 09EC 1BCD  835A FAF3 7A46 E4A3 280C