Subject: Re: Adding extra directories to pkgsrc
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/24/2005 09:26:56
On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:16:57 -0500
Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com> wrote:
> > From: "D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy@NetBSD.org>
> > How would you handle distfiles?
>
> I'm not sure I understand your question.  I do a 'cvs checkout' of the
> tree, and then do a 'cvs import -d -ko -I \! -I CVS netbsd netbsd
> netbsd-yyyymmdd'.  So there are never any distfiles in my imported
> tree, or any .os or anything else.

OK but we also have to deal with the normal user who just does a pkgsrc
checkout as the documentation describes.

> I actually put distfiles outside of pkgsrc and symlink it.  Probably I
> should use a mk.conf variable instead.

Yah, I use mk.conf on the systems where I keep it in a different place.
However, many people (myself included on some systems) use the disfiles
directory in pkgsrc and the .cvsignore in that directory keeps CVS from
complaining all the time.

> > > Can't people who would like this behavior create a .cvsignore
> > > file locally?
> >
> > That would just create a '? .cvsignore' output line.
>
> Sorry, I didn't realize you couldn't ignore the .cvsignore from within
> itself.

Hmm.  Never thought to try.  It just seemed wrong anyway.

> What I do is (manually) put
>
> D/wip////
>
> in /usr/pkgsrc/CVS/Entries, and this causes cvs to descend into wip on
> cvs update, and it correctly uses the new CVSROOT.

Yes, David suggested the same thing.  I think I will do that as well.
It still seems like a nice thing to give the user these directories in
the basic installation.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
http://www.NetBSD.org/