Subject: Re: Clarification of an item reported in the 2004 Annual Report
To: Eric Boutilier <Eric.Boutilier@Sun.COM>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/24/2005 10:12:10
On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 04:49:44PM -0600, Eric Boutilier wrote:
> Just thought I'd better clarify this item from the The NetBSD
> Foundation 2004 Annual Report:
>
>    ---------------------------------------------------------
>
>     Other noteworthy items:
>
>     * Sun will be using "some form of pkgsrc" for its contrib
>       packages extras in Solaris 10.
>
>    ---------------------------------------------------------
>
> This is not the case. Quite a while back (a year or so?) there were
> serious discussions about doing something like that with the
> Solaris Companion CD (referred to above as "contrib packages
> extras"). But then things got really busy (really, REALLY busy)
> with the forthcoming release of Solaris 10 and the whole concept
> got tabled indefinitely.

Thanks for the clarification.

I think it's a great pity that Sun missed the opportunity to have an
up-to-date, intelligent third-party software management system.  It's
not as if Sun have to do anything much beyond fixing third-party
software to work on their platforms - all the hard-lifting has been
done for them already.

I mentioned the subject at pkgsrccon 2004 in Vienna (this was May
2004), and was corrected - the wording in quotation marks above, I was
told, was what I should use.

Regards,
Alistair