Subject: Re: Are net/quagga and net/zebra still maintained ?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <>
From: Greg Troxel <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/23/2005 09:53:44
> From: "Jeremy C. Reed" <>
> On 22 Feb 2005, Greg Troxel wrote:
> > One problem is that the package installs rc.d scripts named e.g
> >, and the pkgsrc framework expects to have to create rc.d
> > scripts from files in ${WRKSRC}.  So, I think the right thing is:
> >
> > a) change quagga to make rc.d scritps called  bgpd, not
> > This will enable smooth usage with hand compilation outside of pkgsrc,
> > with just cp'ing the files.
> Try something like:
> RCD_SCRIPT_SRC.bgpd=	${WRKSRC}/path/to/

That's what is there now.   Quagga will install rc.d scripts into a
dir $PREFIX, and I'd like to use that mechanism, rather than
RCD_SCRIPT_SRC.  So basically I would like to tell pkgsrc that the
script will already have been substituted, and already installed in
the right place.

  From: Jeff Rizzo <>

  Well, the "right place" is probably different for a package than for
  by-hand... for a package, it wants to go in ${RC_EXAMPLEDIR}, and is
  then copied to /etc/rc.d (or wherever) if ${PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS} is yes.

For a package, the right place is either $(prefix)/etc/rc.d or
$(prefix)/share/examples/rc.d, depending on preference.  I compile a
some software outside of pkgsrc and install to $(prefix)/etc/rc.d and
then copy those files to /etc/rc.d.  The configure option (as used by

makes it easy for people building quagga from CVS or tarball (not
pkgsrc) to use the rc.d files, since they get put under ${PREFIX}.
Similarly, I added "exampledir" support to quagga, since by default it
puts examples in sysconfdir, which pkgsrc says not to do.