Subject: Re: How to update pkg_install?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20050220T160550@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/20/2005 16:18:54
Hubert Feyrer <hubertf@netbsd.org> writes:
> Can we agree that something's not working properly here?

There is a second slightly related problem too related to what might
be a circular dependency on some build tool (perhaps perl???).

If you do a "cd /var/db/pkg ; pkg_delete *" to blow everything away,
followed by a "pkg_chk -n -v -f -k -r -a -s" to rebuild the world,
you'll most likely end up with two pkg_install pkgs registered.  The
first one gets built with a zero-length version string as
"pkg_install-".  The second one is registered as
"pkg_install-YYYYMMMDDD".  The solution to that dilema is also to "rm
-rf /var/db/pkg_install-*; pkg_admin rebuild".

I suspect that if the install of the pkg_install pkg would mash the
previous one, this would be a non-issue.

-wolfgang