Subject: Re: Splitting boost
To: None <wulf@ping.net.au>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/19/2005 12:45:57
On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 21:04 +1030, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
> I'm not very founded to split up boost more than it already is. The standard
> package contains 28 library files of 150k average size totalling appr. 4.5Mb.
> I can't see how fragmenting this package even further will be of any benefit.
>
> I've just completed several packages for GnuRadio and contemplated to submit
> these as soon as wxGTK and py-wxWindows get updated to their corresponding
> current versions. The GnuRadio packages require booth of boost and
> boost-threaded.

It looks like my initial proposal was not very accurate :-/  After
inspecting the sources a bit more, I have found that what I said is not
a very good idea ;)  Maybe we could:

- Keep the current boost package, but remove any shared libraries from
  it.  This package should only install all the libraries that come in
  header file form only (most of them).  It could become a build time
  dependency _only_.

- Add some boost packages for the libraries that come in binary form.
  This'd mean: filesystem, datetime and test (AFAICS after looking at
  the libraries I've actually installed).  These could be runtime
  dependencies.

The thing is that I'm trying to update the package to 1.32.0, but the
build (seems to) fails in multiple places.  Managing more small packages
for each of the binary libraries could keep the errors more "controlled"
in a single place, and could make updates easier.  Specially because of
the use of dynamic PLISTs, I'm afraid some libraries may be built
successfully on some systems but others not, though still getting a
correct install of the package.

Cheers,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>