Subject: Re: lang/perl58 build fails in AIX 5.3, ideas on how to fix.
To: Peter Schmiedeskamp <pschmied@yahoo.com>
From: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/19/2005 13:51:58
--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 12:26:50PM -0800, Peter Schmiedeskamp wrote:

> Basically what I did was to add "-Wl," in front of
> everything that looks like a linker flag.  The only
> potential pitfall of this that I can see is for AIX
> users attempting to use the XLC compiler.  But, given
> that I've had very little success with XLC, it may be
> best to have perl working _some_ way.  I'm not sure
> that this would even break XLC.  Does anybody know if
> XLC cares if linker flags are prepended with "-Wl,"?

hi Peter,

Tim Rightnour and I have been working on AIX support on 4.3 and 5.1
and we have made good progress. after testing a bit more, I'll commit
some work that should allow a number of packages to build without
modification on AIX.

AIX-style shared objects work, but dynamic linking is not always
perfect yet. for example, perl builds builds but won't run because it
doesn't get runtime linked against libperl.

pkgsrc uses toolchain wrappers (see pkgsrc/mk/wrapper) to manipulate
compiler and linker arguments, which should make xlc relatively easy
to support.

incidentally, the support in pkgsrc for the "xlc" compiler actually
refers to xlc on Darwin, which is a little different to xlc on AIX.
maybe they should become xlc-darwin and xlc-aix or something..

> I submitted the patch and it is being tracked in the
> NetBSD bugtracker as 'pkg/29440'.

thanks! I've updated the PR to reflect the current state.

grant.

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6--