Subject: Re: how to avoid multiple instances of packages while usind pkgsrc as
To: Juan RP <>
From: Eric Boutilier <Eric.Boutilier@Sun.COM>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/18/2005 14:56:04
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Juan RP wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 00:46:10 +0100
> Moritz Eysholdt <> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > im trying to use pkgsrc to set up apache, php, subversion and some more
> > tools on an
> > FreeBSD 5.3  box as an non-root-user. Thanks to Hubert Feyrer's mk.conf
> > everything seems to work fine at the beginning...
> >
> > but, do i realy have to install all the packages again in my own
> > pkg-environment that are already present in the system (installed by
> > root)? I'm talking about gettext, perl, expat, python etc.
> > Is there any way to tell pkgsrc that thesese packages are already
> > installed and could be used to solve dependencies?
> You could modify the files to look for the right locations...
> but that sucks and it's not supported by the pkgsrc team.
> If you want something stable, install all required packages from pkgsrc.

Hello Jaun,

Would you say this applies to just application packages or library
packages too? The question I'm struggling with is where to draw the
line on a Solaris 10 platform.

For example, is it recommended to also avoid satisfying library
dependencies from the base OS (e.g. /usr/lib/*) as much as
possible? Or is there a happy medium? If it's the latter, where/how
do we draw the line?