Subject: Re: pkg_delete "Executing" output
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/10/2005 20:57:36
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Alistair Crooks wrote:

> pkgsrc/misc/screen has a number of benefits, including scrollback.

Yawn.  That still means visual filtering, and besides that, it's a
workaround for something broken in the first place.

Remember, the full "paranoia fix" involves the equivalent to "set -x" on
[DE]INSTALL, and that will just make the visual filtering problem worse.
Scrollback becomes nearly useless at that point.

> How many times (except for bulk builds, which are only run by a
> small subset of hardcore developers) do you install perl or
> p5-perl-headers?

Well, perl doesn't "make replace" correctly, so when it's time to update,
that means recursive delete and rebuild.  :>

> > Who doesn't trust the @unexec and @exec lines? And if so, why?
> >
> > (I assume it is a small minority and they can use -v or -vv.)
>
> I, for one, don't trust them.

That's fine.  Use a switch, or even an environment variable (to make it
persistent).  Most users will just *ignore* the messages as screen chaff,
and just get annoyed by it slurping up space adjacent to messages they
actually want to see.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>