Subject: Re: pkg_alternatives as a dependency, again
To: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/10/2005 23:41:09
On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 15:02 -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:

> It should be possible to add more logic to pkg_alternatives to provide such
> a "default" for this situation, which would take effect automatically -- if
> the wrapper in question is still in "auto" mode.

How could we decide which package is the preferred one for a given
alternative?  Should there be multiple levels of preference?  (I.e.,
assign them a number and, the lower it is, the more preference it
has?)  Or just have a single default?  (E.g., nvi for vi, uwpico for
pico, etc.)

We might even modify pkg_alternatives' default configuration file to
ignore some wrappers (i.e., 'vi'), as many people were against that
one specifically.  ATM, the default configuration is to accept them
all.

Cheers,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>