Subject: Re: pkg_delete "Executing" output
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@lists.veego.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/10/2005 19:22:32
On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 05:26:52PM +0000, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 05:55:28PM +0100, Juan RP wrote:
> > On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:45:42 -0500 (EST)
> > Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Ah, but these warnings from pkg_* are real operational warnings that could
> > > have real runtime impact.  I want to see the operational warnings, because
> > > they really could cause Bad Things to happen on my system, and I don't want
> > > them obscured by otherwise useless messages scrolling them right off the top
> > > of the screen in a flood of logs about otherwise "normal" operations.
>
> Your objection is one that I can understand - TMI devalues the other
> information which is printed. I accept that that is the case for a lot
> of people. Indeed, it was the reason that I implemented the mailing of
> the MESSAGE file at package install time.
>
> But let's see what else is displayed at package build time - all of
> the configuration information, all the build information.  I don't see
> calls for it to be sent to /dev/null, because it is devaluing the
> valuable administrative information.

Sorry, but I thought we are talking about the uninstall stage and not about
the install one.
For the install stage its not really possible to follow it, but why do we
want the same problem for an uninstall?

Not that it is a bad idea to have some sort of verbosity, but it should be
up to the user what kind of output he wants for an uninstall.

[..]
> OK, noted, but can you elaborate why you don't like them, please?

I for myself uninstall a few package at one stage when it comes to
packages like gtk2+.
First a pkg_delete gtk2+, which of course fails because a lot of other
packages depends on it and then I do a cut&paste of the other packages.
And at this stage I get flooded with the 'rm' lines and sometimes a real
error happend and i have to go back and see what realy happend.

For such operations it would be also nice to have some sort of verbose
level, to display one line which package will be uninstalled.

Bernd