Subject: Re: xorg-server+any linux distribution
To: Juan RP <juan@xtraeme.nopcode.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/09/2005 21:02:46
On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 20:39 +0100, Juan RP wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 18:39:59 +0100
> "Julio M. Merino Vidal" <jmmv84@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > WRT the manual pages... couldn't we force _all_ systems to use the
> > _same_ extensions?
>
> I'm testing a patch from Jeremy C. Reed to fix this.

Thanks, that looks a lot better.  Ideally, we'd should also get rid
of all other similar stuff (conditional installation of files depending
on the platform, different locations, different names), unless those
differences are _really_ needed.  This way, xorg could always be the
same when installed from pkgsrc, no matter which OS you are in.

Frankly, I've never liked the way this works; the big if/else structure
in Makefile.common looks wired to me.

And please remember to fix the XFree86 packages as well.

> > The same goes with this.  I guess these files should never be installed.
> > After all, we should enforce rc.subr usage in pkgsrc, and not "unknown"
> > scripts popping up from unknown places.
>
> Maybe in the future (xorg 6.8.2 will be released in a few months I guess).

So what?  That won't solve this problem.  I think we should just
completely disable the installation of these scripts to prevent further
problems (I'm afraid they'll be installed on some linux distros but not
others).  And, when somebody has the time to write replacements using
rc.subr, add them (but there is no pressure for that, I'd say).

Cheers,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/