Subject: Re: pkg_delete "Executing" output
To: Matthias Buelow <mkb@incubus.de>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/09/2005 11:52:48
On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Matthias Buelow wrote:

> Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>
>> It would be nice if the pkg_* tools could follow the Unix philosophy that
>> no news is good news.
>
> This philosophy does, however, stem from the age of paper terminals with
> loud type wheels.

It does stem from that age, but I'm not entirely sure that this is the
sole reason for not generating output unless quite necessary.

In various complex scripts I have, I call dozens of programs many
hundreds of times, and if they started generating output when
functioning normally, I'd see a huge mass of messages, entirely
obscuring any error messages that might be printed.

And yes, pkg_add is one of the programs I use in my various scripts.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org
      Make up enjoying your city life...produced by BIC CAMERA