Subject: Re: solaris pkgsrc, gcc, and bulk builds (fwd)
To: None <>
From: Jan Schaumann <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/08/2005 08:56:23

Eric Boutilier <Eric.Boutilier@Sun.COM> wrote:
> - Now bootstrap pkgsrc (follow this sequence exactly):
>   1. Go to ..pkgsrc/bootstrap and run ./bootstrap
>   2. Add the following to /usr/pkg/etc/mk.conf:
>        CC=3D /usr/sfw/bin/gcc
>   3. Copy /usr/sfw/bin/{ggrep,gegrep} to /usr/pkgsrc/bin/{grep,egrep}

/usr/pkgsrc/bin ?  Did you mean /usr/pkg/bin ?

If so, why is this necessary?  Shouldn't the pkgsrc framework know when
there is an insufficient grep and then build the appropriate version

>   4. Temporarily set: LD_LIBRARY_PATH=3D/opt/sfw/lib
>   5. a. Go to pkgsrc/devel/libtool-base and do `bmake install'
>      b. Go to pkgsrc/converters/libiconv and do `bmake install'
>      c. Go to pkgsrc/devel/gettext-lib and do `bmake install'
>      d. Go to pkgsrc/devel/gmake and do `bmake install'
>      e. Go to pkgsrc/lang/gcc3-c and do `bmake install'

Shouldn't 5.e. by itself be sufficient?  Ie, it should pull in all the
required packages without the user having to know which they are and
manually adding them.

>        CC=3D /usr/pkg/gcc3/bin/gcc
>      and add:
>        GCC_REQD+=3D 3

I believe lang/gcc3-c provides a make-file fragment suitable for
inclusion in mk.conf.

--=20 -
         Multiarchitecture OS, no hype required.

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (NetBSD)