Subject: Re: please test avidemux update
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Sebastian Prause <sebastian-p@gmx.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/04/2005 16:26:11
builds, installs and runs just fine on my linux box.

* Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net> wrote:
[snip]
|  Note that this package does not support DivX.

AFAIK libavcodec and xvid can open DivX files just fine (maybe not the
newer ones?)

[snip]
| The author says name is avidemux2. Suggests installing it as avidemux2.

I would say use the official one

[snip]

| Maybe options could be used for the different codec supports?

from looking at the dependencies I see support for these codecs:

audio: aac (faac, faad2), mp3 (lame), mp1/2/3 (libmad),
       vorbis (libvorbis), AC3 (liba52)
video: mpeg (mjpegtools), avi (xvid)

I think the only canditates for exclusion are aac and vorbis.
the others are too common to be left out IMO (think dvd/vcd/avi)

btw the website says that libmad is used for mp3, too, so i wonder what
the dependency to lame is for

   -- Sebastian Prause