Subject: Re: pkgtools/x11-links permissions
To: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
From: Ian D. Leroux <ian_leroux@fastmail.fm>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/03/2005 09:39:02
On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:20:00 -0500 (EST), "Todd Vierling" <tv@duh.org>
said:
> doing all of the following in sequence in the install phase:
>
> 1. create a staging directory
> 2. use appropriate commands to generate the tree in the staging directory
> 3. use ${PAX} -rwpp to copy to ${PREFIX}
> 4. ${RM} -f -r the staging directory

Hmm. I'm not convinced this is a win over doing ${CHMOD}s while building
the tree, since in that case the proper ownerships and permissions are
preserved throughout (no problems with interrupted build).  The ${CHMOD}
method also preserves the separation between build (whose results can be
inspected) and install.  On the other hand, if the ${INSTALL_LIB_DIR}
calls are closer to established practice ... In any case, we've moved
beyond minor patching and into rewriting.  Accordingly, I've contacted
the official package maintainer and will await his input, or file a PR
presenting both options if I don't hear back from him.

Thanks for the help and guidance,

Ian Leroux