Subject: Re: pkgsrc and OpenBSD
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Lasse Kliemann <lasse-list-tech-pkg-netbsd-2004@plastictree.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/03/2005 02:13:10
--Hf61M2y+wYpnELGG

* Paulo Aukar writes:
> A few notes about pkgsrc on OpenBSD 3.6:
=20
[...]
> - many key packages (i. e. packages supporting a lot of other dependent=
=20
> packages, such as pango, ghostscript-gnu and teTeX) didn't complete their=
=20
> compilation and installation process; of course each one with its particu=
lar=20
> work.log) blocking the installation of many important applications;

I got pango working. I even had gtk2.

> - perl already exists at native basic install of OpenBSD system but pkgsr=
c=20
> installs its own version;
=20
That's not a problem, I think.

> It seems to be necessary a set of changes in OpenBSD to fit pkgsrc and at=
 the=20
> same time a set of changes at pkgsrc in order to match OpenBSD. Simply=20
> boostraping pkgsrc seems not to be enough to produce a working system. Th=
e=20
> above mentioned hipothetical schedule requires probably a lot of skilful =
work=20
> but would produce a new distribution of OpenBSD.

I'd love to see Pkgsrc prosper on OpenBSD. Around end of last year, I at le=
ast=20
got about the following applications built on OpenBSD 3.6 (maybe one or two=
 of=20
them still failed; can't remember):

net/djbdns
www/squid
net/ucspi-tcp
print/cups
net/samba
net/ddclient
net/dynipclient
net/chrony
security/dropbear
net/wget
mail/mutt
devel/subversion
editors/vim
sysutils/cdrecord
sysutils/coreutils
www/links
www/elinks

While that's enough for a small server (what I needed at that time), it is =
not=20
enough for the desktop. On my way to a desktop distribution, I got stuck at=
=20
Firefox-gtk2 and the mkfontdir problem (posted to this list). The latter is=
n't=20
that serious, as you can use the fonts brought with OpenBSD. And about Fire=
fox:=20
it even worked partially when run from the working directory (there were ju=
st=20
some icons missing). So I guess it's merely a makefile problem that Firefox=
=20
didn't install, but I couldn't figure out how to solve it.

--=20
Lasse Kliemann
      private homepage: http://plastictree.net
   NO software patents: http://swpat.ffii.org