Subject: clarify the lame license?
To: None <hubertf@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/02/2005 15:56:15
pkgsrc/audio/lame has:

LICENSE=       fee-based-commercial-use

$ make show-license
Generic fee-based-commercial-use information not available
See the package description (pkg_info -d lame-3.96.1nb1) for more
information.

But that only gives information after it is installed.

Several months ago I found:

Can I use LAME in my commercial program?

Yes, you can, under the restrictions of the LGPL.  The easiest
way to do this is to:

1. Link to LAME as separate library (libmp3lame.a on unix or
   lame_enc.dll on windows)

2. Fully acknowledge that you are using LAME, and give a link
   to our web site, www.mp3dev.org

3. If you make modifications to LAME, you *must* release these
   these modifications back to the LAME project, under the LGPL.

*** IMPORTANT NOTE ***

The decoding functions provided in LAME use the mpglib decoding engine
which is under the GPL.  They may not be used by any program not released
under the GPL unless you obtain such permission from the MPG123 project
(www.mpg123.de).

I also saw the email mentioning patent issue:

 http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2004/10/25/0018.html

Can we add a license that can be viewed easily before building package?

lame is used by a lot -- is there an alternative? (I can't tell from
toolame and lame DESCRiptions.)

(I am working on upgrading avidemux again and it uses lame and toolame.)

Thanks,

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 open source, Unix, *BSD, Linux training
	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/