Subject: Re: pkgsrc/security/sudo and Linux issues
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/02/2005 15:33:43
> reed@puget:~$ sudo ls
> Sorry, try again.
> sudo: 3 incorrect password attempts

=2E..

> So I added a /etc/pam.d/sudo and now sudo prompted me, but failed:
>

> reed@puget:~$ sudo ls
> Password:
> sudo: contact your system administrator, =C4=C7E=FCAccount or password is=
 expired
> Sorry, try again.
> Password:
>

> 2) Notice the strange character codes above.

I had:
auth    required        pam_unix.so

like I see on a Debian Linux 3.0 box.

But now I just copied my /etc/pam.d/su to sudo and it worked. It has:

auth    sufficient      pam_rootok.so
auth    required        pam_unix.so
account required        pam_unix.so
session required        pam_unix.so

I see the sudo source has some troubleshooting info that explained my
problem. It's sample.pam is not clear and suggests by default some "stack"
module which PAM from pkgsrc didn't install on this Linux system.

The garbage characters (shown above) still look like a problem though.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 =09  =09 =09 open source, Unix, *BSD, Linux training
=09  =09 =09 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/