Subject: mozilla nss
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Luckie <mjl@luckie.org.nz>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/31/2005 16:14:26
Hi

I've created a pkgsrc-wip entry for mozilla-nss.

mozilla-nss is a SSL library like OpenSSL and gnutls.  It provides a set
of includes, libraries, and binaries by default.  My concern is with the
includes and libraries, as I want to be able to link things against the
nss libraries (such as gaim and gaim-encryption).

At this time, the pkgsrc-wip entry for nss does not install any
binaries.  The reason for this is that the binaries have fairly generic
names that clash with other pkgsrc installs.  The most notable is
digest, which is required by pkglint.  The FreeBSD port for nss has the
following:

CONFLICTS=      btoa-5.* digest-* emboss-2.4.* oases-2.* p5-PAR-0.*

pkgsrc does not have btoa, emboss, oases.  there may be a conflict with
p5-PAR-dist but I have not confirmed.

As far as I can tell, there probably will not be any real demand for the
binaries that can be installed as part of nss.  However, I would like to
ask if there is somewhere they should be installed.  I debated the
following:

${LOCALBASE}/bin/nss/
${LOCALBASE}/nss/bin/
${LOCALBASE}/bin/nss-*

So here's the question: should the binaries be installed and if so, where?

Thanks

Matthew