Subject: Re: Interaction pkgsrc vs other software
To: Adam Smirt <>
From: Dieter Baron <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/30/2005 11:06:09

In article <> Johnny wrote:
: Adam Smirt wrote:
: > Having built misc software using pkgsrc (eg libpng) and installed them
: > under /usr/pkg, is there
: > a generic way to have other configure/make scripts look there?  Most
: > seem to only check
: > /usr and /usr/local.  Some software include xxx-config, but most dont...

: If you are compiling software that uses GNU configure scripts, then you
: can generally accomplish this by setting CFLAGS and LDFLAGS
: appropriately in your environment before invoking the configure script,
: e.g., if you are using sh/ksh/bash:

:         export CFLAGS="-I/usr/pkg/include"

  This should probably be specified in CPPFLAGS

          export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/pkg/include"

since some tests only run the C preprocessor to check for header
files, and at least automake includes CPPFLAGS in CFLAGS.  Specifying
it in both CPPFLAGS and CFLAGS should do no harm either.

:         ./CONFIGURE && MAKE