Subject: Re: Interaction pkgsrc vs other software
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/29/2005 08:39:39
Adam Smirt wrote:
> Hello,
> I use pkgsrc (2004Q4) on NetBSD-2.0.  My question may be more of a
> autoconf question
> but I ask here as people here are more likely to know.....
>
> Having built misc software using pkgsrc (eg libpng) and installed them
> under /usr/pkg, is there
> a generic way to have other configure/make scripts look there?  Most
> seem to only check
> /usr and /usr/local.  Some software include xxx-config, but most dont...

If you are compiling software that uses GNU configure scripts, then you
can generally accomplish this by setting CFLAGS and LDFLAGS
appropriately in your environment before invoking the configure script,
e.g., if you are using sh/ksh/bash:

	export CFLAGS="-I/usr/pkg/include"
	export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/pkg/lib -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib"
	./configure && make

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>