Subject: Re: rc.d PLIST auto-registration (was Re: Desktop files)
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/28/2005 22:06:15
On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> It's not fine with me, for what it's worth.  For several reasons:
>
> RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR is still a user-settable option, despite not
> being documented as such.

I'll change it to be a = instead of a ?= if that will clarify it.  It was
never intended to be mk.conf settable; the variable exists as an expansion
convenience and visual notation to mark the pathname's purpose in the
package Makefile.

pkgsrc is not designed to have a package's files outside of `etc' movable
about the filesystem by mk.conf settings.  So what you're describing is
actually a bug, not a feature.  (In part, it's a bug of historical habit, as
craploads of things in pkgsrc/mk are ?= or .if !<something> where they
should actually be unconditional.)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>