Subject: playing .au files with xmms
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/28/2005 21:57:36
Has anyone managed to play .au files using xmms?

xmms per se does not seem to support .au format.  I've tried
xmms-audiofile (I even built most of a pkgsrc framework, so that if it
worked there would be a nice package for it), but it causes xmms to
segmentation fault (without, of course, a core dump; it's more
important to print a pretty message....).  I also tried the existing
xmms-meta-input plug-in with a script I wrote (following its examples);
it doesn't seem to do the right thing (i.e., I get horrible noises
instead).  Here's the operative line from the meta-input script:

	sox -t au $2 -r 44100 -c 2 -t raw -

xmms also prints

	/dev/zero: application/x-not-regular-file

for reasons that are quite unclear to me...

		--Prof. Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb