Subject: Netatalk installing CUPS -- why?
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/28/2005 20:01:28
Hi,

audit-packages reported a CUPS vulnerability recently, which sent me on a
search for who actually wants CUPS on my server, and why. Turns out
Netatalk 2 is built  unconditionally with CUPS support. But the Netatalk
installation happily prints via /usr/sbin/lpd, as did the 1.5.3
installation before it.

So: Does pkgsrc allow to conditionally build with support for another
package "if it's already around"? And, in a similar direction: Is there a
way of globally setting "whatever options you build with, don't force
BLOATEDPACKAGE on me"?

I've disabled CUPS support in the Makefile, and Netatalk continues to print
as before. And I've gotten rid of CUPS.

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign