Subject: Re: Desktop files
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/27/2005 17:26:12
On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 11:17 -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
>   not include desktopdb.mk.  You can check if its gnumeric.desktop file
>   has a MimeType entry and, if so, include desktopdb.mk in the Makefile,
>   rebuild and reinstall gnumeric.  If it works, please file a PR :)
>
> gnumeric does not have a MimeType entry.  I was able to, on my
> machine, associate gnumeric with excel's mime type in nautilus, and
> then opening .xls worked.
> I hadn't read the desktop spec before, so probably didn't give
> 'gnumeric %F' properly.

The problem is that the mime system was completely rewritten in GNOME
2.8 and it won't recognize file types if they are not in the database
constructed by update-desktop-database.  I.e., all .desktop files that
want to associate themselves with file types must provide a MimeType
entry.  Furthermore, I think it's %U rather than %F, but I'm not sure.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/