Subject: Re: pullups into 2004Q4?
To: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/27/2005 06:28:51
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Chris Ross wrote:

>   I'm not sure how the branching works for pkgsrc.  Is there any
> particular expectation as to how/when the branches are to
> be used, vs. when the mainline is to be used?  If I have a
> stable machine, running 2.0.1, what pkgsrc should I be tracking?

pkgsrc, both HEAD and branches, is supposed to work on all supported
platforms.

>   Related to this, I see a patch went in for bind9, assumedly
> for the denial of service vulnerability recently announced.  But,
> it's not in the 2004Q4 branch.  If this is normal, then it leads to
> the above question.  Do things like this (security fixes) get pulled
> up to the branches?

The branches are supposed to fix security fixes without the arbitrary
updates and pkgsrc infrastructure changes happening on HEAD.  However, that
requires manual assistance on the part of the people fixing these bugs in
pkgsrc.  If this one is fixed on HEAD but not on 2004Q4, then someone forgot
to submit it for inclusion into 2004Q4.  I'll check and ask the person in
question to submit it for the branch.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>