Subject: Re: Changes to reference count directories
To: Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/27/2005 00:26:54
On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 03:32:58PM -0500, Johnny Lam wrote:
> Johnny C. Lam wrote:
> >
> >Reference count directories so that we know when it's safe to remove
> >a directory without impacting the remaining packages.  The reference
> >counts are stored in /var/db/pkgdir.  The install scripts are also
> >extended to allow for easy sanity-checking and fixing of the directories
> >present in the filesystem.
>
> Due to feedback, I'm moving the location of the reference count database
> to ${PKG_DBDIR}/.refcount.  The name of the directory may not be
> changed, but the path to the directory now defaults to ${PKG_DBDIR},
> which defaults to /var/db/pkg on most systems.  This should also do the
> right thing on bootstrapped systems, since PKG_DBDIR is set within
> /etc/mk.conf on those systems.

So if one has multiple LOCALBASEs, he will have to manually change its
location to a place where it can be globally accessed, right?  (Not that
I have anything about it, just to make it sure.)

By the way, having the ability to change the name could be good... if I
move it outside ${PKG_DBDIR} (as I'd want to do in the previous situation),
it'd be nice if it didn't end up being hidden.  I.e., /var/db/.refcount
could be better without the dot.  (IMVHO)

Cheers,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>