Subject: Re: safe make replace?
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/26/2005 11:22:12
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> In fact what I was also trying to say, without actually coming out and
> saying it point blank, was that libool really only adds a HUGE massive
> pile of steaming, but rotten, spaghetti on top of the problem.
>
> We haven't really needed anything even remotely like libtool in the open
> source world for at least a decade now yet we're the ones who seem most
> focused on abusing ourselves with it.

Speaking for yourself.  Those of us working in diverse heterogeneous
environments have no real alternative except static linking -- and sorry,
Charlie, the ship's long since sailed on that one.

> > but it is a good
> > start at keeping ABI compatibility in the mind of the software author.
>
> I'm not so sure.

It's better than zero awareness, which is the point you're pushing.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>