Subject: Re: Changes to reference count directories
To: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/26/2005 10:37:11
grant beattie wrote:

> I don't think pkgsrc should try to solve the base system part of this
> issue - unless the base system knows about it, it's simply not going
> to work (as well) as it would otherwise.
>
> e.g. I can't imagine Solaris' sshd caring if pkgsrc openssh is using
> /var/chroot/sshd or not. it doesn't care. it shouldn't care.
>
> it solves a particular problem, but I don't think the base system part
> is that pertinent. that said, it seems like a useful thing to have
> nonetheless. :-)

This scenario was actually what prompted the original (bad)
implementation of touching .pkgsrc files in the directories if we were
supposed to remove them.  A user complained that after removing the
pkgsrc openssh, the base-system openssh stopped working, and he tracked
it down to /var/chroot/sshd being removed by the package.  As such, I
think it's important that we handle this problem.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>