Subject: Re: Changes to reference count directories
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/26/2005 10:22:23
Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
>
>> There are two main benefits to the new implementation.  There now
>> exists a script (+DIRS) that can be run at any time to create any
>> missing directories.  Also, the install scripts are more factored, so
>> they're easier to understand and edit.
>
> If it becomes required that users need to run this, maybe add a wrapper
> to pkg_admin ("pkg_admin mkdirs"?) which creates the needed directories
> for a given number or all pkgs (similar to what "pkg_admin check" does.

I intend to add a few more commands to pkg_admin to take advantage of
some additional scripts that I'll be splitting out of the current
INSTALL script templates.  The current INSTALL scripts have the annoying
property that we can't guarantee that we can execute them in such a way
that we can "fix" installed packages.  In this context, "fix" refers to
repairing packages that may have been broken after installation, e.g. a
directory required by the package was removed, users or groups required
by the package were removed, etc.  I want to split out some smaller
scripts out of the INSTALL scripts and force them to have a consistent
and correct implementation so that we can run those scripts to fix
installed packages.  After I've finished with this work, I'll add the
new commands to pkg_admin at one time so they're all part of the same
version bump.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam