Subject: Re: Changes to reference count directories
To: Martin S. Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
From: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/26/2005 22:18:10
--F4+N/OgRSdC8YnqX

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 11:57:07AM +0100, Martin S. Weber wrote:

> > e.g. I can't imagine Solaris' sshd caring if pkgsrc openssh is using
> > /var/chroot/sshd or not. it doesn't care. it shouldn't care.
>=20
> It will start to care once pkgsrc-sshd eradicates /var/chroot/sshd
> because it was deinstalled and the last/sole _pkg_ using that dir...

pkgsrc has absolutely *no business* removing a directory that it did
not create, and we have taken steps to make sure this doesn't happen
(the .pkgsrc files).

however, you raise a good point - this basic test must remain, even
in an improved implementation, to avoid taking several steps
backwards.

I was originally bitten by this with pkgsrc openssh on Solaris.
removing all remote login access to the system as a result of removing
that directory was the unacceptable outcome of pkg_add/pkg_delete
openssh.

grant.

--F4+N/OgRSdC8YnqX

--F4+N/OgRSdC8YnqX--