Subject: Re: Changes to reference count directories
To: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/26/2005 11:34:53
On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 09:26:28PM +1100, grant beattie wrote:

> I don't think pkgsrc should try to solve the base system part of this
> issue - unless the base system knows about it, it's simply not going
> to work (as well) as it would otherwise.
>
> e.g. I can't imagine Solaris' sshd caring if pkgsrc openssh is using
> /var/chroot/sshd or not. it doesn't care. it shouldn't care.
>
> it solves a particular problem, but I don't think the base system part
> is that pertinent. that said, it seems like a useful thing to have
> nonetheless. :-)

[ I don't know if this has already been explained; I am receiving the
  mails completely out of order. ]

What Johnny explained here is one of the situations where this can be useful,
but there are others as well (as he told me yesterday).

The current implementation creates .pkgsrc files in the empty directories.
This is unacceptable for some programs, such as mailman, which get confused
about an "unexpected" file in their directory.  See PR pkg/21511.  The new
implementation also solves this problem.

Cheers,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>