Subject: Re: HEADS UP: Alternatives system added
To: Matthias Buelow <mkb@incubus.de>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/26/2005 09:46:37
On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 02:11:24AM +0100, Matthias Buelow wrote:
> Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
>
> >as we have been discussing during the last days, I've added the
> >alternatives
> >framework to pkgsrc and converted nvi and vim* to use it.
>
> Will this also work for more complex things, like, BSD lpr vs. LPRng (or
> CUPS), which is without doubt a lot more interesting than vi vs. vim?

If may work, but it's not supposed to.  Basically because the stuff in the
base system cannot be modified by pkgsrc (a different scenario could be if
the base system included pkg_alternatives itself).  However, nothing stops
you setting PREFIX/bin before /usr/bin in your path and using the utilities
in pkgsrc.

One day we will have syspkgs, and then this problem will disappear...

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>