Subject: Readline headers/libs can't be found (wm/ratpoison update)
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Vladislav Sekulic <vlad.sekulic@utoronto.ca>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/26/2005 00:51:52
Hi everyone,

I've been working on an update for the (very) old wm/ratpoison package,
moving it from 1.2.2 to 1.3.0 (see pkg/28993).  However, there is an
issue with the build process; I'll copy and paste what I wrote in the
initial pr:

---
There is an important piece of information regarding the building of
the package.  Normally the configure process of the original source
fails because it cannot find the "history" library of ``readline'',
even if the latter is installed on the system.  I don't know why this
is happening, but as a temporary workaround, the Makefile sets the
``--disable-history'' argument to ``configure'' by default to work
around this.
---

Jeremy Reed has kindly been in contact with me and helping me work
this issue out.  I've learned a lot about pkgsrc, buildlink3, and
builtin.mk files; what we've established (or rather, what he showed
me) is that all that is needed is an include for
``../../devel/readline/buildlink3.mk'' in the Makefile in
wm/ratpoison, in addition to the option ``USE_BUILDLINK3= yes''.

The reason is that ratpoison doesn't build using the native readline,
but works fine with the pkgsrc one (which is readline 5.0).  I'm
still unclear as to exactly why this is the case.

Now, unfortunately with the modifications above, the libraries still
don't get found.  Here is the (new) Makefile for ratpoison:

---
# $NetBSD$

DISTNAME=       ratpoison-1.3.0
CATEGORIES=     wm
MASTER_SITES=   http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/ratpoison/

MAINTAINER=     vlad.sekulic@gmail.com
HOMEPAGE=       http://www.nongnu.org/ratpoison/
COMMENT=        Simple window manager with no fat library dependencies

DEPENDS+=       bash-[0-9]*:../../shells/bash

USE_BUILDLINK3= yes
USE_X11=        yes
GNU_CONFIGURE=  yes

INFO_FILES=     ratpoison.info

.include "../../devel/readline/buildlink3.mk"
.include "../../mk/bsd.pkg.mk"
---

Here is the beginning and end of the ``make'' process, when it
crashes:

---
===> Checking for vulnerabilities in ratpoison-1.3.0
=> Checksum OK for ratpoison-1.3.0.tar.gz.
===> Extracting for ratpoison-1.3.0
===> Required installed package bash-[0-9]*: bash-3.0nb1 found
===> Required installed package x11-links>=0.24: x11-links-0.24 found
===> Patching for ratpoison-1.3.0
===> Applying pkgsrc patches for ratpoison-1.3.0
===> Overriding tools for ratpoison-1.3.0
===> Creating toolchain wrappers for ratpoison-1.3.0
===> Configuring for ratpoison-1.3.0

<snip>

checking readline/history.h usability... yes
checking readline/history.h presence... yes
checking for readline/history.h... yes
checking for add_history in -lhistory... no
configure: error: *** Can't find History headers and libs
*** Error code 1
<snip>
---

It seems that the headers are found, but not the library(ies)?

Thanks for any input,
Vlad