Subject: Re: tcpdump 3.7.2 vulnerabilities
To: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/25/2005 10:56:56
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Chris Ross wrote:

> > I don't know why, but maybe because of some libpcap dependency issue.
>
>    I doubt that, because the pkgsrc/net/libpcap has bee 0.8.3 for quite
> some time.
> So, I can't see any reason why tcpdump would be older.

I was specifically thinking that maybe the net/libpcap/builtin.mk allowed
use of some native libpcap that was not correct with new tcpdump. It seems
like I heard about some issues but can't find them now.

>    Can someone commit the update to pkgsrc?

Since, nobody else has said otherwise in past day, I will commit the
update.

This is committed now. Can someone also try the same patches on the stable
branch of pkgsrc and I will submit a pullup-pkgsrc request.

For later:

I have one problem: the configure script checks for
$ac_cv_ssleay_path/lib/librsaref.a and links with -lrsaref on one of my
Linux systems. So librsaref.so.3 => not found when I run on other system.

Should we have an option for tcpdump to build with rsaref? I don't see it
covered in the manpage and I have not knowling used this option, so I
don't know.)

Also, it installed and worked fine with libpcap-0.7.2 because of
BUILDLINK_DEPENDS.libpcap+=     libpcap>=0.5.0

I don't know if tcpdump should be forced to use same version or not. But
since it built and worked fine for me, I guess this old libpcap can still
be used.

Also, it automatically has IPv6 support if /usr/include/netinet/ip6.h
exists. Maybe an option for inet6 should be used here also.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/