Subject: HEADS UP: Alternatives system added
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/25/2005 14:55:12
Hi all,

as we have been discussing during the last days, I've added the alternatives
framework to pkgsrc and converted nvi and vim* to use it.

When you decide to update any of these packages, pkg_alternatives should be
pulled in as a dependency and, after the installation, you should be able
to run the installed package using the common 'vi', 'ex' and 'view' names.

Here are some commands to play with, assuming you have both vim and nvi
installed:

    pkg_alternatives list       # List all available packages with alternatives
    pkg_alternatives status nvi # Show status of all wrappers associated to nvi
    pkg_alternatives manual nvi # Select nvi as a default
    pkg_alternatives auto nvi   # Forget changes made by the previous command

You can run the above either as root or as a regular user (their effect will
be slightly different).  Add the -s switch if the output looks too verbose.

The next step is to convert all the Java JRE/JDK packages to use it as well
as the python* interpreters.  After that, java-wrapper and the python package
(the one that installs a symlink) will disappear from earth.
[ I already have done this locally, but I'd rather wait a bit to commit
this, at least until I've recovered my system from a little "disaster". ]

Have fun!

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>