Subject: Re: where to install man pages (was Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/doc)
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/24/2005 18:52:30
[ On Monday, January 17, 2005 at 21:02:38 (+0100), Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: where to install man pages (was Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/doc)
>
> I don't think we should make that configurable for consistency reasons,
> and to avoid potential breakage due to packages not properly honoring
> the setting.  Better stick to a policy and apply it.

Well since most every Autoconf-using, and hopefully _every_
Automake-using package honours "--mandir", I don't see any problem with
extending that feature to pkgsrc, esp. if it comes along with dynamic
PLIST adjustment to keep everything self-consistent in a given build and
binary package.

Of course with all the other packag

(the only other concern might be /etc/man.conf, but it's a holy terror
of a mess if all the various non-standard manual page places are
accounted for anyway -- just mark it as "administrator beware" and leave
it at that :-)

>  (Though,
> personally, I'd like to see 'man' and 'info' moved inside PREFIX/share;
> we even do this in the base system.)

Me too!  For nearly forever now!  ;-)

For what it's worth I've _always_, pretty much from the first day I ever
used any facet of pkgsrc, made $PREFIX/man and $PREFIX/info a symlink to
point into $PREFIX/share/* and just left it at that for the most part.

Not exactly an ideal "fix", but it kept me from getting too annoyed at
the problem....  (I don't actually share /usr/pkg between any machines,
let alone any of different architectures -- though of course the actual
sharing of files between packages compiled and installed on different
architectures isn't supported by pkg_add et al in the first place.)

--
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098  W:+1 416 489-5852 x122  VE3TCP  RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>