Subject: Re: Alternatives system, 2nd round
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/24/2005 10:40:23
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> Now say our Joe User changes the alternative in his personal
> configuration:
>
> 	$ alternatives manual bin/vi /usr/pkg/bin/vim
>
> What will happen is that the vi wrapper will see his configuration
> and vim will be executed.  But the manual page will still be pointing
> to nvi.

I believe that nroff is a sufficiently rich programming language that
you could write code to figure out what other manual page to source.
Something like: run this external command and store the result in an
nroff variable, then .so the result of expanding the variable.  Of
course, this has security implications.

--apb (Alan Barrett)