Subject: Re: firefox-gtk2-* obsolete?
To: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
From: Thomas Bieg <tomsbsd04@tiscali.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/23/2005 07:14:39
Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> are the packages maintained, or should they be garbage-collected?
> It's at 0.10.1 version currently.
>
> Jaromir

I'm not familiar with the Firefox versioning, but it seems to me
that all official linux builds of Firefox 1.0 and beyond require
gtk2 (which in my eyes rather makes the non-gtk2 bin package
obsolete, at least the nightly).

I just recently tried to install firefox-gtk2-bin-nightly (on i386),
which didn't work out-of-the-box because the filenames on mozilla.org
have changed, but manually downloading one of the nightly builds (I
even took a localized one) and putting it where the makefile expected
worked flawlessly (so updating the package should be a no-brainer).

The plugin packages for firefox-gtk2-bin worked fine without any
tweaking, so now I have a localized Firefox-nightly with nice anti-
aliased fonts and working Flash and Acrobat Reader plugins :)
(Didn't try Java yet.)

By the way: On ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/
the _localized_ nightlies currently lie in "latest-0.11-l10n" instead
of "latest-trunk-l10n", where one would expect them. But the one I
installed from there clearly identifies itself as 1.0-nightly:

     Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i386; de-DE; rv:1.7.5)
     Gecko/20050122 Firefox/1.0

OTOH, as the pkgsrc package for Firefox doesn't care about the
localized versions this shouldn't be a problem...

Regards,
Tom