Subject: Re: Alternatives system, 2nd round
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/21/2005 12:28:47
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:

> Now say our Joe User changes the alternative in his personal
> configuration:
>
> 	$ alternatives manual bin/vi /usr/pkg/bin/vim
>
> What will happen is that the vi wrapper will see his configuration
> and vim will be executed.  But the manual page will still be pointing
> to nvi.

Thanks for the further explanation. It now makes sense because this is to
support individual's own alternatives too. I wonder if supporting per-user
alternatives is overkill -- it is sort of like supporting per-user
PKG_SYSCONFDIR configurations.

Either way is fine to me though -- thank you for your work on this. I will
use it for awk and lpr and vi!

Can any of your new code be extended to handle creating menu databases for
dynamically updating window manager menus? (I have code for this in an old
PR.)

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/